With so many wallpaper options that have become increasingly common for the daily homeowner, choosing the best wallpaper can feel a bit tricky. There are plenty of colors, patterns, textures to consider when choosing the right one for your home. If you know what to look for, it will be easier for you to make the most ideal choices for your rooms.
If you’re just new to the wallpaper world, we’re here to guide you through the seemingly endless journey of wallpaper options and help you best express your personality. Here are several tips on how to choose the right wallpaper for your home.
Common Wallpaper Styles
The style of wallpaper you choose must match and compliment the rest of your decor style. It must have a natural flow and relationship with the rest of the space. Here are some of the top common wallpaper style examples:
- Glam Style: The options you have for a glam wallpaper are flocked, embossed, crystal, sparkly embedded or dramatic reflective designs.
- Formal: A formal interior usually uses different elegant wallpaper designs like damask or hand-painted print.
- Victorian: The Victorian period involves a baroque floral damask which is a nice wallpaper for the period’s style.
- Country: For country decor, consider a gingham, plaid, or country motif pattern which is a great choice for this particular style.
- Rustic: Rustic style is more on the textured side. To fit the theme, include plaid for warmth, grasscloth for depth, and a wildlife pattern.
- Casual: If you like a more casual or relaxed style, your decor should have various patterns like a floral, plant, or textured print.
- Modern or Contemporary: To have a modern style/decor at home, opt for geometric or abstract patterns.
Where Should I Use Wallpaper?
There are plenty of different ways you can use interior wallpaper in your home. You are free to apply it to every wall in each room or you may choose to install it on an accent wall. Wallpapers can be utilized if you need to break up a wall space or accentuate a specific wall. Wallpapers are amazing and they’re normally recommended by new home builders and interior designers if you want to break up a wall space or highlight a certain wall space broken up by built-ins.
How to Use Wallpaper in a Room
Now that you know where you can use your wallpaper, the next step is knowing how you plan to utilize the wallpaper in the room. It’s important to take note that not all styles work in the same way. Here are different options you can consider when using wallpapers:
1. Cover the entire four walls. To achieve a fresh contemporary look for your home, you may horizontally hang a classic, simple stripe design on all four walls. Big-scale and simple designs will not look overwhelming in a room, instead, will add a trendy twist.
2. Highlight a space in a room. If you would like to feature one wall in your room, pick a dramatic, bold pattern to accentuate that area, either behind a bed or sofa. For a classy and elegant touch, try choosing designs with a touch of gloss, mica, or metallic.
3. Wallpaper that has chair rail. If you’re planning to use a chair rail to divide a wall, it’s very easy to bring special interest to it. Want a classic look? Try using paintable beadboard wallpaper beneath the chair rail. Meanwhile, above the chair rail, you can hang a huge-scale floral or damask for a fresher look. Aside from that, a unique way to work with a chair rail is to grip the wall with a pattern under it, like a dramatic damask wallpaper, or even paint a harmonizing color above it. Installing wallpaper in this manner produces a rare element of surprise that you don’t usually see in rooms.
4. Insert interest to the ceiling. If your goal is to have the tin ceiling look in your room, use wallpapers in paintable squares. Look for the ones painted in a classic metallic shade to achieve a Victorian-style tin ceiling look.
How Much Wallpaper Do I Need to Buy?
We’re sure that you might ask how much wallpaper you need to purchase, here’s a guide on that.
1. All walls must be measured first then multiply the width by the height of each wall in feet.
2. All of the measurements should be added to come up with the total square footage.
3. Subtract for the doors, windows, and other big openings.
4. Verify the roll label about how much square foot coverage the roll gives and make sure that the rolling coverage is more than the total wall square footage.
5. Follow this rule of thumb that when you buy, order one roll extra than what you actually need. It would be ideal to have it at the same time as the original purchase to ensure that the rolls are coming from the same product run so there would be no variation in colour. You can make this sure by finding the batch number. If you see that the batch numbers are the same, then there would no variation in colour. The extra role you have with you is to be used if you do make any mistakes. The great thing with this is you can always return the unused rolls if they go unused.
Single roll and double roll are industry terms, it would be easier for consumers to identify how much wallpaper is needed just by taking a look at the square-foot coverage the roll provides.
If you find this article helpful, make sure you share it as well as this site with your friends and social media.
I think this is among thhe most vital info for me. And i’m glad reading your article.
Butt should remark on few general things, Thhe web skte style
is wonderful, the articles is really excellent : D. Good job, cheers
I’m truly enjuoying the design aand laylut oof your
site. It’s a very eaxy on tthe eyes which maakes it much more pleasant for me
tto come here annd visit more often. Did yyou hiree out a designer tto
creatte your theme? Fantastic work!
Do you mijnd if I quote a few off our articlds as long as I provide
creedit and sources back to your site? My wsbsite is in the exact same area oof interest ass yours annd
myy visitors would certainly benefit from a lot of the information you provide here.
Please leet mme know if this okay with you. Regards!