If you have bought a new pet dog, then you will be wondering what you should give to him to eat. That will be true, right? No one can deny the fact that there is a number of foods and diet is available for pet dogs. You need to determine which one suits the best out of them.
Some people ask the question can dogs eat spinach or what kind of food should they love to have? Here in this article, we are going to discuss the different types of food your dog should eat. These foods will make it healthy and would be sufficient for their growth. Let us first focus on the food therapy of your dog, depending on its age.
Food therapy for pet dogs based on age
We all know that nutrition is the base of food that should be supplied to the body. It is the body fuel that will help to maintain the health of the body. Be it a human or an animal, nutrition is vital for the body. But do you know that it is important to take it in a limited way? Otherwise, it will start converting into fat. Now, the question arises, what should a dog eat based on its age? Let us discuss it.
- When the dog is 8-16 weeks old: This is the age where you bought the dog at home. Some may consult with an online community for pet lovers for the process of dog buying. At this early stage, you must be very careful in giving your dog the right diet that would not lead to stomach upset. Many pet lovers would tell what you can feed your dog, especially the small puppy. You should give the best food that will be high on kibble. This would help to ensure that all nutrients would be provided to you. You can also give cooked diets to your dogs. Try to avoid giving raw diets to your puppy because this would harm their immune system. Therefore, you should be very careful while feeding your newly bought little pet with care.
- When your dog becomes 16+ weeks old: At the 16th week, your dog’s immune system will start improving. This means that your dog will be able to eat raw food. It is the time when your dog’s permanent teeth are erupting. Therefore, you need to encourage them to chew their food effectively. At this time, the dog will chew your shoes or couches. They become possessive of their eating habits. You should not snap their food away as they are likely to become aggressive. You can start giving them food by hand-feeding them. This is beneficial for puppies at earlier stages. Your dog could now eat a bone at least one day in a week.
Introducing new food to your pup would need much attention. That means you should keep an eye for the reaction if any takes place on him. Like humans, some dogs are allergic to particular food items. Therefore they show some signs of illness or distress when the right food is not given. For the right food, you can take help from an Paws and whiskers that will also guide you on which food you should give to your pet dog.
- When the dog becomes an adult: You can feed the adult dog twice a day depending on the commercial food you are giving. Some dog breeds become adults after 12 months, while the other breeds (like larger breeds) can become adults when they are about 18-24 months old. This is the time when you need to choose a balanced diet for your dog.
- Food for senior dogs: When the dogs become aged, then there would be signs of chronic health issues. Therefore their diet would be improved, and they would be needed with some smaller feeds at several intervals. At this stage, they need more fiber and proteins for their body. You can speak to the online community for pet lovers or consult with a veterinarian about your dog’s diet.
Top foods you must give your pet dog for their healthy life
Now you have seen the food giving habits based on the dog age. Let us discuss the different food that would serve beneficial for your pet dogs.
- Bone Broth: This food will provide your dog with various health benefits. This would serve as a healing portion for your dog. It contains the bones simmered for several days with apple cider vinegar. It will help to improve digestion, detox the liver, reduces inflammation, and alleviates joint pain in dogs.
- Goat Milk: Raw milk is high in fat-soluble, healthy fats, probiotics, and proteins. Therefore you should give them.
- Vegetables: You can give various types of vegetables to dogs like peas, onions, mushrooms, green beans, etc. Most people ask can dog eat spinach. The answer is yes, dogs can eat spinach but in a limited amount. A large amount of spinach can block the calcium absorption in the body, and this will harm the kidney.
- Organ meats: This would serve as a crucial component for a dog’s diet as it will benefit their body.
- Eggs: Another essential component in a dog’s diet is eggs. The eggs are high in proteins and provide amino acids, vitamin A, D, E, omega three fatty acids, calcium, and zinc to bones.
Here in this article, we have discussed different types of foods that would give immense health benefits to dogs. These foods will be given in the limited amount that would be needed based on the dog breed. We advise you to move slowly and while adding new items to your dog’s diet.
This would help it to digest with different tastes. You can take help from the online community for pet lovers as they would provide you essential information about the feeding process of pets. Other than this, you can also consult with your veterinarian about the dog’s diet.