Among the machines used for material processing, milling machines need to be focused. These machines are used in a wide variety of manufacturing plants and workshops for the processing of tools, equipment and machinery. In unit and mass production, with their help, the operator can get any shape. Thanks to the use of the appropriate machine to suit the needs and goals, the work will become faster, hassle-free and accurate. Proper milling of the material requires the right equipment – we will consider the types and applications of grinding machines available in the market.
Division of milling machines
Taking into account their construction, milling machines can be divided into single-spin and multi-spin mills. Due to the spiral location, we list the upper and lower spiral shafts.
- Routers – their rotation is above the table. They are used for mass external and internal milling over the entire circumference of the material.
- Spindle Molders – The spindle is located directly under the table. They are more dangerous than routers, so they are less common. They are only recommended for qualified people who know the functionality of this device. We can distinguish between vertical, horizontal and universal milling machines.
What things to keep in mind when buying a milling machine?
The wood milling machines available in the market are different for standard and additional equipment. When purchasing a milling machine, we should pay attention to parameters such as table surface, drive motor type, control type, electronic resolution, stabilization repetition probability, accuracy, power, maximum rotational speed and its maximum distance from the table surface. Their blades or spindles can be carried in a rolling tool bag. The mounting type of the tool, its dimensions and weight are important factors. You can check the term and terms of the warranty provided by the manufacturer and access to service support. It is necessary to define the purposes and materials for which the device is to be used.
Types of milling machine
When buying a milling machine, we should also pay attention to the types of grinding. Different types of work require different types of milling. Considering the design of the device, we can distinguish three types of grinding – full, incomplete and free.
- Full milling – Machine Dimension In this case the inner dimension, three machine surfaces are formed, called three side milling.
- Partial milling – The machining dimension is mixed and two machined surfaces are formed on the processed material.
- Free – Shape milling – The machining dimension is perpendicular to or parallel to the machine surface. It grinds one side – a surface is processed.
Choosing a milling machine for an industrial, manufacturing plant or workshop is not easy because the device is very complex. The Porter Cable Router is considered as the best hand-held router for wood grinding and milling to make grooves in the wood. We must take into account the type and construction of the device and the type of milling that can be obtained with it. Power and maximum rotational revolutions are important. The solid and durable construction of the device is an added benefit. Once we define the goals and working methods we want to use the milling machine and the material we want to work with, we will well define the type of equipment we need.